sexta-feira, 13 de março de 2015

SEWING FOR BABIES

I’ve sewn baby clothes for the first time! And it was fun. Really fun!

My blogging friend Patricia is expecting a baby girl and some Portuguese bloggers/seamstress decided to put together a baby shower for her with some handmade gifts. A fun idea, right? And the perfect excuse to sew sweet little clothes…

I’ve made a jumper for her (very) soon to be born daughter and a dress for her oldest girl, the adorable Miss Caracolinhos. I’ve also made a softie for them to share (or fight about… How knows!)
PATTERNS: Romper: selft drafted, Dress: View A nº4 from the book Vêtements Amples à Superposer by Mayuko Murata, Softie: Henry & Helga Elephant Plushies free pattern by Christina McKinney for Birch Fabrics Blog

FABRICS: Main fabric is a right flowered red cotton from a baby bed sheet I found on a Zara Home sale. Zara Home has some wonderful prints and I always visit the store at the end of each season hopping to find great bargains. For the romper’s lining I’ve used a white and red pocka dot fabric I had on my stash. The snaps are from Kam. (Oh! I love my kam pliers!)
The romper. I’ve only started sewing when my kids were toddlers so I didn’t have any baby clothes pattern I could use. So I went to my basement, picked one of my daughters’ baby rompers and drafted the pattern myself. I just hope the fitting is right as I have no one at home that will ever fit into such a small piece of clothing. The romper if fully lined with contrasting polka dot cotton fabric and has snaps both in the back and between the leg openings so it is easy to dress and undress as well as to change diapers. This was such an easy and fun garment to sew…
The dress. I love to dress my daughters in matching outfits so I had to make a matching dress for Miss Caracolinhos. I also love to see little girls dressed in simple girly dresses. So I made a spring dress with puff sleeves and gathered skirt. Simple as that! The book is a French version of a Japanese sewing book and I have to say I am in love with all patterns in this book. All clothes are stylish and wearable at the same time. Unlike the romper, the dress is not lined so I’ve finished the neckline with blue bias tape. But, like the romper, the back closes with bright red snaps.
The softie. I had already made a softie like this for my friend Asmita. This is such a great free pattern! It comes in two sizes but I have sewn the largest one both times and it is perfect. The elephant body is made with the polka dot fabric and its ears are made with the flowered fabric as I didn’t have much left after making the clothes…
And why didn’t I have any fabric left? Because Ines begged me to sew a dress for her too! And she also made me sew another romper and elephant to give to her school teacher that just had a baby girl, I must add…

 
Don't Forget to visit my friends' blogs and check all amazings things they have sewn for Patricias's baby shower:
Carla

16 comentários:

  1. Tudo giríssimo, Marta, e esse tecido é o máximo. Eu também costumava ir à Zara Home em busca de pechinchas de fim de saldos, mas nunca vi lá um padrão assim tão giro! E que bem que fica a Inês a condizer com tudo o resto. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Adoro tudo! Mega presente... a Patricia vai adorar! Vou imenso a Zara home buscar tecidos... ainda por cima os meus filhos ainda cabem em roupas feitas com fronhas (a 1EUR em saldos he he he)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Está tudo top, as usual Marta :)
    Gosto tanto dos vestidos e o tecido é lindissímo (A Inês tem muito bom gosto) <3. Gosto mesmo muito!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Such beautiful present :) How nice of your daughter to request extra baby gifts (and a dress for herself hehe).

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Tudo tão giro!! Adoro o tecido. Um presente fantástico ;-)

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Achei tudo girissimo e a ideia dos tecidos de lençol da Zara tb.
    Tb concordo, têm padrões girissimos.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Marta, acabei de receber os teus maravilhosos presentes! O tecido é fabuloso, ainda mais bonito ao vivo e o toque é uma delícia! Thank you dear Martha, thank you so much. I feel so lucky... <3

    ResponderEliminar
  8. LOVE all of these!! So perfect and that fabric is just beautiful!! <3

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Tenho a certeza que ela vai adorar os presentes. Estão lindos. Obrigada pela dica dos lençois da Zara. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Elephant softie and rabbit pillow are going to be best friends in Sara's cradle :-) I LOVE everything! And I would be really happy if you launch that romper pattern <3

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Que coisas tão giras Marta. Adorei tudo!! Mas o elefante fez as delicias. Aposto que as manas vão adorar partilhá-lo.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. What a sweet gift! They are adorable!

    ResponderEliminar
  13. Hello! What lovely presents are these, and nice to see the cute Mr. baby elephant again. We are still enjoying ours everyday.

    ResponderEliminar
  14. In the Wildstar, Housing program is the most essential part! No only it will provide yuo a 24h fan, enhancing your encounter obtained in group/solo/PvP content, but also once you hit stage cap, signing off in your home gives you older gem bonus.
    cheap runescape gold

    ResponderEliminar