sexta-feira, 19 de setembro de 2014

FLIP THIS PATTERN . THE SERENDEPITY SWING COAT (TURNED INTO SHIRT BY DOGUINCHO!)

I am so happy to be back to Flip This Pattern!  It is such a great and inspiring series. I love it!

So it is time for September Showcase! This month Flip This Pattern is featuring  ten great patterns from ten rising indie designers. Great idea, isn't it?
Layout 2

I was lucky enough to pick the awesome Serendipity Swing Coat from the new pattern company Sewlosophy. What a great pattern this is! I am totally overwhelmed! But I wasn't able to keep the pattern as it is... After all this is Flip This Pattern, right?
The Serendipity Swing Coat

So I made a shirt, instead of a coat and I love the over all result. It is a comfortable and stylish shirt Teresa can wear to school while the weather is still fine. (Hopefully that's until the end of October...) And then she can wear it again next spring as the shirt has plenty of room for her to grow...

Now let's talk about my flip! I actually made no changes to the original pattern pieces. I have just cut the front panel on fold and that was enough to turn the coat into a shirt!
But, since I decided this shirt would not be reversible (yes, the original pattern is reversible!) I had to change a lot the way all pattern pieces were sewn together. I've finished the neckline with contrasting bias tape (I think that's way the wonderful shoulder gathering looks a little bit "flat" on my shirt) and added a bit of striped fabric on the sleeves to be able to have a nice finish when the sleeves were rolled up. The yoke closes with snaps, instead of buttons, and I added a couple of snaps to the sleeves to keep them in place.


The main fabric for this shirt comes from one of my favorite online shops, The Fabric Stash, and it was actually bought with my prize for winning last year's Flip This Pattern. It is Dainty Blossoms Posy Pink by Carina Gardner for Riley Blake Designs and it is still available, so check it out here! For the sleeves lining I picked a bit of blue and white stripped fabric from an old man's shirt given to me by a friend long time ago.

Sewing this coat was a fun and I guess I will have to sew all Sewlosophy patterns now! Not only their fitting is impeccable, but I love the design. And did you know the instructions come with a video? Amazing!

 (It was an early morning photo shoot, this one...)

Thank you Emiliy and Ashley for such a great series!
Thank you Destri for such a great pattern!

And, I almost forgot, there is a great giveaway going on and lost of discount coupons for you to get these patterns at a great price. Check it out here

11 comentários:

  1. Really cute! Great flip. Love the way you finished the sleeves and the neckline, turned out perfect.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Those stripes are the perfect match to that bold print! Love it!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Cool look! A miuda e mesmo gira e tem estilo! :-)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Perfect! Now pink and navy may be my new favorite color combo : ) Geez she is adorable!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. The color combination is cute....and I love your use of stripes throughout as accents.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. This is such a sweet top! Love the pink with the navy!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Muito giro, gosto da forma como terminas as mangas e o contraste de cores está muito bom. beijocas!

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Cute shirt and model! the colour of main fabric is so refreshing!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Giro giro giro!
    A combinação de cores ficou o máximo e como sempre o teu estilo dá o toque final! (acho que esta versão vai ser para repetir mais vezes).

    ResponderEliminar